Thread: Ekrem Jevric Super Star

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Thumbs up Ekrem Jevric Super Star

Ekrem Jevrić udružio je snage s Mathiasom Schmidtom, alias Švabo Smith, te izbacio novi hit Gola, gola.

http://www.net.hr/webcafe/page/2010/08/06/0195006.html

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Vec ima topic.
    If you no longer go for a gap that exists, you're no longer a racing driver.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

a znate li za onaj vic sa Chuck Norisom i David Getom?
    I like to read - once i read something, i understand it, and once i understand it i never forget it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Onaj kad kolje otac sina?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

e e, strashan je.
    I like to read - once i read something, i understand it, and once i understand it i never forget it.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

nisam ja cuo koji je to?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    2 Posts

A da ne zna neko kako se zove onaj film dje pas ceka gazdu a gazda je ustvari umreo?
    Kreč, kolica i mešalica.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    11 Posts

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by the_sorrow View Post
    A da ne zna neko kako se zove onaj film dje pas ceka gazdu a gazda je ustvari umreo?
    Čuo sam da je film........................tužan

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

znate li vi onaj vic kad englez siluje nemicu i ona govori najn, najn? i je li ko gledao hachika?
    Play for that money boys, play for that money, fuckin' money

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Quote Originally Posted by the_sorrow View Post

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

I ja imam jedno pitanje:

Gde je mrtav čovek?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    70 Posts

Djevojku za predsjednika

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

zasto skrecete sa teme,ja mislim da ekrem nije to zasluzio od vas,nepostovaoci ekrema,sotone !
    Viktorija Badza! um zu sehen,dich nacktauf dem Nordpol !

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ekrem Jevrić, nicknamed Gospoda, is a Bosniak-American folk singer of Montenegrin origin, based in Yonkers, New York. His YouTube video spot "Kuća poso" (House, work) earned him instant popularity across former Yugoslavia. The internet phenomenon was noted by BBC and The Independent.
    He was born in Plav, Montenegro. In 1985 he married his wife Igbala. He moved to Canada in 1988, and soon after to the United States. He has four sons: Enis, Nermin, Hajrudin and Berat. His most famous song is "Kuća poso" ("Home, work", "From home to work"), which achieved instant success on Youtube, reaching over 4 million views (2 million in first month), and growing to 5. Jevrić recorded his first album, titled "Kuća poso", in March 2010. He did a photo shoot for Dolce & Gabbana Winter 2011 Collection, positing as an Italian tailor, and he claims that the $1000 fee he received for the campaign but he said that photo shooting has nothing to do with his popularity, he was cast because of his Italian look.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

Ekrem's song expresses the culture shock experienced by immigrants.

Croatia's main daily newspaper calls him "the Balkan Borat". In Bosnia he is the topic of heated debate among music critics. Serbia's largest commercial TV station reports his exploits in its main news. In Montenegro he gets a hero's welcome at Podgorica airport, where he is besieged by press from all over former Yugoslavia.

Ekrem Jevric is a Muslim labourer from northern Montenegro who left Yugoslavia in the 1980s to find work and happiness in New York, which boasts a strong community from his native town Plav.

Living in the West was much tougher than Ekrem and his compatriots expected, but Jevric has finally found a way out of the rat race through his love of Yugoslav turbo-folk music.
    Culture shock

He expresses the culture shock experienced by immigrants in the song Home, Work - Work, Home. It mourns the demise of communal life and the breakdown of other traditional values which are so important in his conservative northern Montenegro.
    Continue reading the main story
    “Start Quote

Hey New York, darkness looms over you/ Because you let the women rule/ Dogs and concrete everywhere/ Battalions of women roaming the streets/ Home, work - work, home... ”

End Quote Excerpt from song Home, Work - Work, Home Ekrem Jevric

To Western ears his cry that a woman's place is in the home is likely to jar painfully with the backdrop of liberal New York life. It is another facet of the immigrant struggling to adapt - and may remind some of Borat, a comic fish-out-of-water.

Friends made a video of Ekrem singing his song in the New York streets, dressed like one of mafia mobster Tony Soprano's junior associates, and posted it on YouTube.

The rest is history. Within three months Home, Work - Work, Home had received almost four million hits and Ekrem's other videos notched up another three million viewings.

Yet Ekrem sings in a language spoken by only about 20 million people in the world - and in a crowded, highly competitive market dominated by English.
    Whole world in his hands

In a BBC interview Jevric said his next project would be to record his hit in English. "Once someone sends me a good translation, which I can cope with vocally, I will make Home, Work - Work, Home a huge international hit. Maybe I will finally earn some money, because these people from YouTube haven't paid me a cent."
    Advertisement

Watch 'Kuca Poso' live and unplugged

Money might be pouring in soon, as Ekrem made a triumphant return to Montenegro "and all of Yugoslavia" on 11 July, after a 22-year absence.

Hundreds of fans and dozens of journalists squeezed into the tiny airport in the Montenegrin capital to greet their internet hero.

Ekrem's wife Igbala stayed in New York with their four sons, unaware of the media sensation her husband's return was about to trigger.

"He's been a very good husband and father, didn't shy away from the toughest jobs to keep the family going. I just hope his health doesn't suffer from all this travel. He's been staging weekend concerts in Yugoslav clubs all over the USA and he's still working in the building trade," Igbala Jevric told the BBC.
    Model for Dolce Gabbana

Ekrem's sudden stardom was helped by a role he recently secured in Dolce & Gabbana's latest underwear campaign.

"I was sitting sipping coffee in New York when some people approached me and asked if I would take part in a photo shoot for 500 dollars. They said they were from this famous company, sounded like Doggana or something like that, and they did show up. I got 1,000 dollars for two days' posing," Ekrem said.

News of his exploits in the world of fashion spread like wildfire through his homeland, where world-famous brands and glamour are held in high esteem after the austerity of communism.

One of his foreign fans is Daniel Winfree Papuga, a Norwegian social anthropologist, who linked Ekrem Jevric's poetry to the work of David Emile Durkheim, regarded as the principal architect of modern social science. Durkheim wrote about the state of despair and hopelessness resulting from the breakdown of norms and social networks in industrial society.

"Ekrem Jevric would agree with Durkheim completely, if he had ever read him. Jevric's song describes disillusionment with life in the big city. He sings that he only goes back and forth from home to work among the giant skyscrapers of New York, the city where battalions of women walk the street, but have forgotten their children," Papuga wrote on his blog.

Top Montenegrin writer Andrej Nikolaidis is also a big fan.

In an article published by E-novine, a leading Serbian news portal, Nikolaidis says that people "do not want to reduce themselves to the modern Westerner as described by Ekrem Jevric in his moving protest song Home, Work - Work, Home. The type of person who, as Ekrem says, is 'living, working, but only working', the one who asks 'What do I know? I don't know anything, and how could I?'"

Nikolaidis draws a parallel with the ancient philosopher Socrates, who said: "As for me, all I know is that I know nothing".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

He works as a labourer, sings (in a cracked voice) about the "dogs and concrete" of New York, and his earnings from the glamorous world of entertainment have hitherto been limited to $1,000 for appearing in an underwear ad. But Ekrem Jevric – or the "Borat of the Balkans" as he is becoming known – has succeeded where many others have failed by uniting the former Yugoslavia with his song about the lonely and confusing world of an immigrant abroad.

Jevric's rise to fame in his homeland that he still calls "Yugoslavia", and that until last week he had not visited since its bloody break-up during the 1990s, owes as much to YouTube as to the simple message of his song and video: "Home, Work – Work, Home."

In the song, Jevric, nicknamed "Gospoda" (Gentleman), expresses the culture shock experienced in New York, where dogs and buildings are everywhere, "battalions of women" roam the streets, and families are neglected at home. It has struck a chord in the Balkans, where it has achieved 4 million YouTube hits in a couple of months, a record for any singer from the region. Jevric, in his late 40s, has touched the feelings of millions, and his song has been acclaimed in all the languages of the former Yugoslavia – Bosnian, Croatian, Macedonian, Serbian and Slovenian.

With his missing teeth and skinny frame, Jevric, a Muslim labourer from the northern Montenegrin town of Plav, does not look like a Balkans folk music hero. But viewers have praised "the living truth" of his song, which expresses the emotional troubles of people living outside the Balkans, where little is similar to home.

"Hey New York, darkness looms all over you," Jevric sings, against the background of Brooklyn Bridge and the skyscrapers of Manhattan. The song describes life in a mega-city, where many immigrants see little beyond a life of work-home, home-work, which leads the singer to conclude: "What do I know? I don't know anything, and how could I?"

The media in the Balkans are having a field day. In Croatia, the newspapers have called him "the Borat of the Balkans," while in Bosnia he is the topic of heated debate among music critics. Serbia's largest commercial TV station reports his exploits in its main news. He is now being invited to sing at weddings, a custom for many former Yugoslavs abroad.

In his native Montenegro, Jevric received a hero's welcome at Podgorica airport last week when he returned home for the first time in 22 years. He has been offered a series of concert dates and has agreed to appear in a reality show, but he declined to comment as he arrived to collect local brides for his four sons who remained in New York with his wife of 25 years, Igbala.

In series of interviews, Jevric described how he worked as a cab driver and construction worker in New York, where "each time I wanted to see some friend his family said he was at work".

He told Bosnian TV that the video, in which he is dressed like the Mafia cronies of Tony Soprano, was made by friends in New York, while the music was composed by an ethnic Albanian friend. Jevric said he had not expected such success, but added that "people obviously recognised what I sing about, the truth".

So far, he has sung the song in dozens of ethnic Yugoslav clubs in the US, from Chicago to St Louis. Videos from these events have achieved another 3 million viewings on YouTube. In the darkness of clubs, he wears sunglasses on top of his head and in one video picks his teeth with a credit card while waiting to climb the improvised stage. Another video shows him singing on a table, surrounded by fans.

Jevric sings in Serbo-Croatian, which is spoken by only about 20 million people, but he thinks a good translation could make his song an international hit. "Maybe [then] I will finally earn some money, because these people from YouTube haven't paid me a cent," he said on one television interview.

His one payment so far has been for playing a tailor in the latest underwear campaign for Dolce & Gabanna, or "Doggana" as he calls it.

But not everyone is impressed. Many former Yugoslavs despise his "primitive simplicity", commenting on YouTube that "he [does] not represent us all".

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

ja cu samo reci
    Ko j**e Chuck Norrisa kad Teletabisi imaju TV na stomaku

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    758 Posts

ekremanija...

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    638 Posts

Znate onaj vic kad misteriozna Vesna i Ekrem sretnu Čak Norisa i Dejvida Getu i ovi kad su ih vidjeli zajedno u par ritualno se zamozapale

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    23 Posts

Ko je bolji pjevač, Dejvid Geta ili Ekrem Jevrić?

Mene ovaj Geta odlično pjeva zabavnu muziku.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Last edited by staff; 10-08-10 at 14:29.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    1 Post

:lolblue:...ja sam ovdje turistaaa..
    " Ko te kara,nek ti piše pjesme! "

Thread Information