Thread: Renting a flat in Montenegro

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Renting a flat in Montenegro

Hi

I've just come back from Montenegro for a holiday/fact finding week and before I buy property there, I'd like to stay for three to four months to really get a feel for the place - either in Herceg Novi or Kotor from September onwards. I'd like to rent a one bedroom apartment, can anyone give me any indicators on how much this is likely to cost...? I'm not after the lap of luxury or a holiday style rental, more something suited for the local market. Are there any online sources where these properties are advertised, even in Serbian rather than English....?

Hvala...!

Michael

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Djoks

Thanks for your email, I appreciate all the links. Most of these companies deal with the sale of properties or the short term rental of flats to holiday makers rather to tenants. So the $64,000 question is how would a local person, in Montenegro, look for a flat/apartment to rent...? Is flats for rent advertised via the local press, is it word of mouth, private advert etc...?

I met some British expats while in Kotor and one suggested to me that after the main holiday season is ended, a lot of lccal families are quite willing to rent out rooms or self-contained flatlets for a fairly reaonsable sum, say €150 a month. In your experience does this sound realistic or pie in the sky as we english would say...?

Cheers

Michael

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hello Michael!

You're perfectly right!

I just popped-up the links list where one can find some info regarding the purchasing of the real estate, and not the rental itself. To be honest - if you want to rent a flat for a certain period - there are two approaches:

1. Renting the flat as a tourist during the season - for a short period (up to month or so). In that case - you can acquire the information through any travel agency. In that case - you pay the price which is rather hight (varying from 20-50 EURs per day for the flat).

2. Renting the flat as a citizen, worker, student & etc. In that case - you find the information through "word of mouth", private advert via radio channels, signs at the street & etc. This is MOSTLY before/after the tourist season, because during the tourist season - most of the lodgers have to leave the apartment or pay the higher amount (as tourists described in the previous case). That behaviour stinks, but that's how it mostly is.

Another problem that you may run into is: if you start negotiation about the rental price - most probably you will be asked to pay a double price (because you're a foreigner). Better way is asking a local-person to make all the agreements, and introduce yourself to the flat owners so you approach them in friendly manner (they get to know you and gain some trust), and in that case you may be able to rent for approximately the same price as a local person. However: 150 EURs appears very low for a normal-size flat. Expect to pay from 200-300 for a 2-rooms flat, up to 600 EURs for a flat that is fully equipped, 5 bedrooms, at the coastal line in a villa & etc.

I know this maybe sound like a rip-off, but plenty of owners got double-crossed by the foreigners who were smuggling the goods during the war period. Some were using the appartments for months, and then left with no goodbye and no payment at all. :?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Djoks

Hvala lepo, veoma sam zohvalan!

Thanks again for your comments, much appreciated, it's kind of how I guessed it would be. When you say a flat with two rooms, are you commenting on the amount of bedrooms or the total number of rooms in the apartment itself...?

As you can tell, my serbian isn't that great (I'm trying to learn a bit at the moment). Can you write down some the words for flat/apartment and to rent in serbian and I'll do some digging on the internet to see if there is any flats being advertised using this medium.

If I get to Herceg-Novi again, I'll buy you a beer to say thanks!

Michael

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Michael, you're welcome!

When we say: double-room or two-room flat, we consider two bedrooms not including the kitchen, toilet or bathroom.
    A couple of terms in our language:
    - "stan" (apartment, flat)
    - "jednosoban" (one-room) -> "jednosoban stan" (one/single room apartment),
    - "dvosoban" (two/double rooms apartment),
    - "trosoban" (triple room apartment),
    - “cetvorosoban” (four-room apartment),
    - “petosoban” (five-room apartment) & etc.
    - “izdavanje” (renting),
    - “izdavanje stanova” (apartment rental),
    - “nekretnine” (real-estates), & etc.

(Hope someone else can also fill-in the terms I’ve missed)

Anyhow: I just did some Google research and came up with conclusion that almost any real-estate agency in Montenegro offers rental services as well. However, the best possible way of finding a proper one is: take 2-3 days with a friend of yours (from Montenegro) and make a tour, listen to advices from the locals and follow the street signs stating:

“Izdajem stan” (I’m renting an apartment), “Izdajem sobe” (I’m renting rooms), “stan za izdavanje” (apartment for rental) & etc. Most of the signs are written in English & Russian, too. If you pay a visit to a tourist center or a tourist agency – they will point you into right direction, as well.

Don’t worry! You won’t get lost

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default rent

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default long term accomodation Montenegro

Hi Rooinek !

I am planning to move to Montenegro very soon, for work purposes, and wondered if you had eventually found the accomodation you were looking for. I would also be willing to spend around 200 EUR/months, and I am not looking for a "holiday rental", just a place to live.
    Would you be so kind to give me your tips and advices ?

Thank you,
    Carine

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Hi Rooinek and Crna Gora! You can try to find accomodation here:

http://123montenegro.com/

That's the website who advertises private accommodation (especially for tourists, during the summer), but a lot of owners are willing to offer an appartment for rent for a couple of months, or an entire year.

If you need any help with contacting the owners, feel free to ask, I'll be happy to help.

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

you can also try
    www.montenegroprospects.com

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Default Renting a flat in Montenegro

Hi all,

Could anyone give me an indication of what the prices are for renting a flat in Balti.

It has to consist of one room, a kitchen, toilet and a shower.

Thanx in advance.

Eric

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    0 Posts

Where is Balti ?

Thanks Thanks Given 
    Thanks Thanks Received 
    Thanked in
    671 Posts

Thanks Thanks Given